Abacus IT Solutions today announced that it has signed on as a partner of STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™, the global online safety awareness and education campaign. Securing the internet is a responsibility we all share, and STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ is simple, actionable advice that everyone can follow to be safer and more secure online.
“Our partners in business, our local community, and our own employees will have the opportunity to learn more about cyber security and keeping businesses safe thanks to our partnership with STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™, said Brian Jackson, President of Abacus IT Solutions. “We’re excited to begin sharing more information and resources via social media campaigns, our e-newsletter, and printed materials.”
STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ was launched in October 2010, with messaging created by an unprecedented coalition of private companies, nonprofits and government and leadership provided by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) and the Anti-Phishing Working Group. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) leads the federal engagement of the campaign. In September 2016, the campaign expanded to include Lock Down Your Login, a STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ initiative led by NCSA and the White House to empower Americans to secure their online accounts.
The STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ campaign encourages everyone to take security precautions, understand the consequences of their online actions and enjoy the benefits of the internet with more peace of mind. Follow these STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ tips to better protect yourself, your information and the larger digital community:
- Lock Down Your Login: Fortify your online accounts by enabling the strongest authentication tools available, such as biometrics, security keys or a unique one-time code through an app on your mobile device. Your usernames and passwords are not enough to protect key accounts like email, banking and social media.
- Keep a Clean Machine: Keep all software on internet-connected devices – including PCs, smartphones and tablets – up to date to reduce risk of infection from malware.
- Personal Information is Like Money. Value It. Protect It.: Information about you, such as purchase history or location, has value – just like money. Be thoughtful about who gets that information and how it’s collected by apps and websites.
- When in Doubt, Throw it Out: Cybercriminals often use links to try to steal your personal information. Even if you know the source, if something looks suspicious, delete it.
- Share With Care: Think before posting about yourself and others online. Consider what a post reveals, who might see it and how it could be perceived now and in the future.
- Own Your Online Presence: Set the privacy and security settings on websites to your comfort level for information sharing. It’s OK to limit how and with whom you share information.
“Every person and organization has a role to play in promoting a safer, more secure and more trusted internet,” said Michael Kaiser, NCSA’s executive director. “We are grateful to our hundreds of STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ partners for their commitment to educating the public and helping build a culture of cybersecurity, online safety and privacy awareness at home, at work and in their communities.”
Everyone can play a role in the greater STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ effort. Find free tip sheets, posters, videos, infographics and other useful resources to help you, your family, your colleagues and your community members be safer and more secure online and learn how you can get involved with the campaign at stopthinkconnect.org. To register your organization as a STOP. THINK. CONNECT. ™ partner, visit https://stopthinkconnect.org/get-involved.